It finally arrived, Yes, I opened the mailbox the other day and inside just waiting for me to rip into it was that cheque (check if you are in the USA) reimbursing us for our lost luggage. A little recap, we left the Canadian subzero temperatures dressed in wool and winter boots and landed in 80 degree weather with no luggage for nearly two days, you can read about the entire mess Here.
United Airlines has already stepped up to the plate and very quickly reimbursed us $400 for forgetting our suitcases. And now, a cheque from Visa for over $900!!! Yes, they did come through, much to my surprise.
So here's what I've learned when packing for a trip, especially one to the USA (which had tighter restrictions for International flights thanks to that idiot who tried to torch his underwear a couple of months ago). Because of that same nutcase (who I hope at the very least burned his balls off!), we were not allowed carry ons when we flew for 17 hours to Hawaii. Since then, security has loosened up a bit but just in case, here is my top-five list for the next time I board any airplane:
1. Next trip, I will make sure that every suitcase has a change of clothes for each of us. Last trip, only our daughter's suitcase made the flight so my husband and I had N-O-T-H-I-N-G for almost two days.
2. Next trip, I will stuff a clean pair of undies into each of my bra cups. N-E-V-E-R again will I have to wear underwear for 17 hours of flying and then wait until THE NEXT DAY to get a clean pair because there are no stores open.
3. Next trip, I will have a toothbrush in my purse. The 10 cent toothbrush they gave us as a substitute for our suitcases had bristles that were stronger than a toilet brush.
4. Next trip, I will have the biggest bag of lollipops that security will allow so there is at least one for every child on that flight should any of them develop ear trouble. (you can read why Here)
5. But most importantly, I will ALWAYS buy our airline tickets on the Visa Card that has the $500 Allowance for each of us should our luggage get lost!
As for the lost luggage during my husband's business trip a few days later, we are still waiting to hear back! (details are Here)
Got advice for anyone traveling or want to share a story of your own? Tell us in the comments!